Friday, August 31, 2007

No more photos.....

At least not for a while. My camera died on Sunday evening. Very distressing, considering it's not even 2 years old! And I had things to share.....

I finished Sivia Harding's Journey Cable socks on Sunday. I used JaWoll in bright orange (o159). I enjoyed the pattern, and they turned out very well, if I do say so myself. This is the second sock in progress:


The pattern is sized for babies and women's medium and large. However, the husbeast really liked them and wants a pair. I'm not sure if I'm going to alter the pattern or just knit them on bigger needles. He doesn't have giant feet, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

I got my order from KnitPicks on Wednesday. Yarn joy! I ordered Essential in the new Peacock Multi, and Felici in Pebble and Arugula. I'm on a sock jag. Which is what lead to the other item in my order: 6 sets of nickel plated dpn's in sock-appropriate sizes. I know it sounds excessive, but, but.... it was a really good price, and they came in a set, and I never have enough little needles and I JUST WANTED THEM, OKAY?! All right, so I'm a little defensive about the needle stockpiling thing. I also thought, "What if I hate them? Now I have 6 sets to hate." I've never been a big fan of metal needles - I'm more of a bamboo girl. Not anymore. I love them, I love them, I love them! Awesome, fabulous, wunderbar. I knit like the wind. I can't believe I've been missing out all this time. Imagine all the FO's I could have had...

Seriously, they are great needles. Especially for the price, which averaged out to about $5 a set. They are smooth as glass, and have a nice balance to them. They have some weight without being heavy, and they have a solid feel to them, which I like. I have a tendency to hold my needles very tightly (okay, it's a death grip). This can cause annoying warping in bamboo needles, and in lighter metal ones. While this doesn't seem to affect the knitting, it offends my sensibilities. Best of all, these babies are FAST. I cast on Grumperina's Jaywalker socks in the Peacock early on Wednesday evening. By the time I went to bed last night I had finished the heel and gusset and was into the foot. Amazing. Two evenings and I'm 3/4 of the way through a sock. I am not generally a lightening-fast knitter (something which makes me a little self-conscious), but these needles have turned me into The Flash. I will definitely be purchasing more. I'm thinking about buying the Options set. I love my Denises, but you can never have too many needles.

As for the yarn, I'm diggin' it. I'm never too sure about colorways. I can be very picky and I am often disappointed, but this is really nice. Deep, saturated shades of purple, green and teal. Lovely if you like those colors, and truly peacock-like. Since I have a thing about peacocks, it's perfect.

 A peacock, just for fun:


No comments: